- Expiration dates mean very little. - By Nadia Arumugam - Slate Magazine ow.ly/19oAm
Something I've suspected, having come across varied dates and different ways of expressing this -- "use by" vs "sell by" for instance. Obviously a lot of consumer intelligence is needed to navigate this correctly, as in looking and sniffing goods that are "overdue" but it's nice to know YOU WON'T DIE OMG if you use canned peas 6 months past their sell-by date....
- I'm attending Microsoft and NaviSite Present: Win with WebsiteSpark -- navisiteandmicrosoft.eventbrite.com
On April 1st -- the first one was back in December, which was very interesting and full of free software and good educational/networking opportunities.
- Got the Ajax include working on web pages, now I can have a uniform set of menu links that are user-maintainable. Wiktory!
This is cool, because I wanted a user-maintainable list of menu links that should go on about 20 different pages, and it'd be a drag to have to update each of them by hand... and moving the whole site into PHP or a CMS just for that one function seems like overkill, not to mention the maintanability by the user. However, an Ajax call when the page is loaded puts a simple HTML file with the links in a list into the sidebar, for all 20-some pages.
This feels like I went up a level in Web Designer. Small steps, small steps.
- Baked bread machine dough in ceramic bowl w/lid, came out very well.
My previous attempt at No-Knead bread came out literally very flat, as the yeast, um, didn't work. Yesterday I was in too much of a hurry for overnight rising, so I mixed up an egg bread batch in the aforementioned machine, and then preheated a ceramic casserole dish that has a glass lid for a half-hour in the 450F oven, then popped dough in it and let bake for like 30 minutes with the lid on, and another 10 with off, because by then it was more than dark enough. The result has a great crust (not as great as the No-Knead, but splendid for a bread machine loaf) and is a pretty cool success.
So yesterday had TWO successes in it!
- Um... Sunday, right? That would explain a lot.
- On the other hand, if this is Sunday, then it's #AmazingRace day. And I can get the rest of my grocery shopping done this morning.
If I had a job, there'd be no doubt this is a Sunday. As it is, I had to think back over the last couple days of activities (or in the case of this week, non-activity on some days).
And TAR has returned, just when a bunch of my shows were taking hiatuses or whatnot, so there's something to look forward to!