- I now follow both a Kakapo and Simon's Cat twittering ... I should probably find a twittering dog to complete the set, really.
The kakapo is @SiroccoKakapo, ie the rare bird who had altogether too much fun with Stephen Fry and a wildlife expert recently. Evidently the keepers have been letting him at the computer too often and he's taken to promoting New Zealand wildlife. I find it all too cute.
- RT @TelegraphPics Bodypainting art by Andy Golub - Telegraph retwt.me/Vtme -- Not SFW but beautiful/odd and not lascivious.
Seriously, worth checking out, but if you found the bodypainting cover of Esquire too racy, it's not for you.
- Amazing Race's Justin Takes the Blame for Losing Zev's Passport TVGuide.com ow.ly/uxNz -- couldn't love these guys more!
What a damn shame, I will say more than once! Occasionally there are eliminations that are just heart-breaking, because TAR is a game played fair and square for the most part, and sheer chance (or mild player error) can knock the best players out. These guys are a class act, and so are at least "winners at real life" in my book.
- Starting my UPS delivery vigil. I don't want my TiVo delayed because I didn't hear them! I have a note on the door and the LR shades up.
- Still waiting for the UPS man or someone like him.
And I waited from like 9 AM to 5 PM when it finally showed up! Well, it meant that I stayed downstairs near the door, read, played with my laptop and job-searched on it, straightened the living room, watched TV and all that. Not exactly a too-strenuous effort. It's just that I've been burned by "deliveries" where the total effort by the driver was to slap a prewritten "you weren't home" slip on the door without attempting to knock.
- @TeresaKopec -- yes, on the not joking. The boy worked on the balloon w/ his dad, if he's a bright kid, he may have his fear under control.
- The balloon is on the ground! Now to see if the kid is OK.
- Please don't let him have fallen out -- no one in the balloon? #balloonkid
- RT @tomtomorrow Reality check about what ppl are joking about here: possibility that a small boy fell to his death. -- Hear, hear.
- @TeresaKopec -- FoaF says that a balloon that size could maybe lift 30lbs with the volume of helium involved -- reason for hope?
- UPS finally arrived -- now if they just find the balloon kid safe and sound my day will be made.
- CNN SAYS FOUND ALIVE!!! woohoo!
Heh -- I'll preserve the rest of my afternoon's twittering as it developed, because against my better judgment I got caught up in the story as much as anybody could. Although, I never did get my theory that the kid was hiding written into a tweet (I did, on Facebook!) well before it was found that the kid was indeed doing the entirely-6yo-logic dodge of hiding out until his parents weren't mad.
I SHOULD have been suspicious because of the size of the balloon -- I remember the Mythbusters episode where they put together enough regular-sized balloons to lift a small child, which was, um, a huge number that almost filled a warehouse, and the saucer-balloon wasn't nearly as big as that, though in my defense, when I first saw it flying along, there wasn't much reference for how big it really wasn't.
I honestly don't believe it was a hoax, and this is one reason why: the local cops who spent the most time with the parents and other kids weren't suspicious, before or after the kid was found. Cops do really get good at reading suspects' emotions, so if there was some hinky hoaxing for attention, I think they would have twigged.
- Now getting the new TiVo working -- it's doing a long download of programming info, but it's already watchable!
This is a Series 3! I've got a WiFi connector for broadband, so bye bye telephone line, hello cool stuff like Netflixing and watching on my computers upstairs! And when we get a cable card installed, we can get rid of the cable box AND be able to record two shows at once.
I love tech toys. Shouldn't have spent the money now, when Unemployment is soon running out and I'm looking for a 'survival job', but I do have enough savings that I'm not criminally negligent, AND its a good pickmeup for right now, right?